14 March 2012

Top 5 Black comedies 2000-2009

So, this is my first blogpost and an introduction to what this blog is about. And what is a better introduction than an example? So here I present to you my first Top 5 list:


Top 5 Black Comedies of the 00s


Okay, so I made this a hard first list as there are many great films that fit this category, but I thought, as this is one of my favorite genres, I might aswell start here. I had to restrict it to the first decade of the 21th century as it would have been impossible to pick out the top five black comedies of all time. Later I'll make a list of earlier black comedies.


Nr. 1 - In Bruges (2008)
Nr. 2 - O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2001)
Nr. 3 - Persepolis (2007)
Nr. 4 - Planet Terror (2007)
Nr. 5 - American Psycho (2000)


There are many things that make these movies great black comedies.
1. The dialogue
2. The characters
3. The situation
4. Not knowing what to expect

I would argue that the dialogue is the most important part. I just love smart quotes. These movies are just full of them. Here's a few examples:

"A bottle! Don't bother" - In Bruges
"Damn. We're in a tight spot!" - O Brother, Where Art Thou?
"I like to dissect girls. Did you know I'm utterly insane?" - American Psycho

For a longer version, check out my black comedy list on IMDb:
http://www.imdb.com/list/jeBzey0hj6E/

No comments:

Post a Comment